Monday, May 3, 2010

Jacques... you hold a special place in my heart.


To Edit: start this post back in March, tried in April and finally finished in May....
Jacques Raymond is such a well known restaurant in Melbourne... Or I should say in Australia. It has been taking 3 hats every year from The Good Food Guide for as long as I can remember.
I visited it a couple years ago and enjoyed it reasonably however VDM was still the love of my heart.
This year we decided to visit Jacques Reymond for babe's 30th plus our anniversary. And the food... oh the food... they were so amazing that every dish taste, aroma linger in my head for days after.
Definitely would love to visit again, especially Mr Raymond changes the menu per season.





We opted for the degustation. There seem to be some very nice selection from A la carte also which I like because you prob enjoy the food so much you visit regularly. The a la carte provide you choices.
(p.s. to my dismay a few days later after we dined at JR they changed the menu so I could only describe the dishes to a certain extent)

Bread Puffs: to start with. A bit salty and quite tasty



Delicate rock lobster chakin, broth of blue swimmer crap and asian sense fragrant coconut milk, palm oil: One of my top 3 of the night. The chakin is so soft and bouncy in texture. Every spoonful oozes ocean to me. I love love it!



Hiramasa king fish and ponzu, Harvey Bay Scallop, spice nougatine warm leek and chilli gherkin dressing: scallop is quite lovely. babe loves the king fish but I thought it was only alright.



Snapper with 4 peppers, fennel and white balsamic, sencha and lime emulsion: always loves fresh fish. the 4 peppers IMO is a bit too asian-influenced. Big fan of the foams. The taste it brings is very interesting. Certainly not a dish you can recreate at home.






Tempura quail breast, organic black rice, whipped persian fetta: babe loves this dish. the black rice is interesting. I like quail more and more and do notice them being used more in Melbourne restaurants.



Wallaby with lemon Myrtle and apple jelly, cider vinaigrette, combu celeriac cooked in salt crust: I never had wallaby before and wasn't looking forward to this dish in particular. However this is my top 3 of the night! the meat.... oh the meat.... how tender and juicy was the meat?! I could not believe it. It was fresh, sweet and incredibly tender. Love the dashi and the jelly gives a bit of tang. LOVE this dish big time!



Wagyu rump with something something: we also opted for this just in season truffle all the way from France and honestly I was tipsy and full by then. The truffle wasn't doing the whole dish much favor. Pretty nice... as much as you would expect a wagyu to be...



Babe gave me his truffle and we were joking saying each slice worth $5... (extra $25 per head me thinks)

This is me after a long day of work... obviously I need to visit my hairdresser soon to retouch my roots... which I did the very next day...

Darling birthday boy



Martini of bittersweet chocolate (mousse), coffee ganache, bourbon vanilla chantilly and cripsy rice puffs: I am never a big fan of chocolate desserts but the chocolate is not too sweet and the rice puffs provide some interest textures.

Pear and caramel, earl grey and orange tea ice cream, pedro ximenez jelly: last but not the least, my final top 3 dish of the night. This dessert is Amazing. My poor photo taking does not do it justice! (excuse me I was so full and so tipsy..) the caramel mousse was so creamy and the earl grey tea ice cream is to die for!! (heaven heaven heaven!!) then it teams with the plum jelly and bring the whole taste to another level. Def will go back to JR just for this!



Petit fours: time to go home. I didn't have any I was so full...



My meal will not be completed with tea. I need something to keep me awake after all the booze...
-----------------------------------------------------------------


Jacques Reymond Restaurant
www.jacquesreymond.com.au
78 Williams Rd
Prahran VIC 3181(03) 9525 2178
($250/head drinks inc)
Jacques Reymond on Urbanspoon

No comments: