Monday, March 22, 2010

Porcini Mushroom Risotto -- delizioso!!



Yes, contrary to many others might think, I can cook and it doesn't involve me burning the kitchen down "touch wood"
Actually I should rephrase to that I cook, not that I "can" cook.
These days as my parents are not in Melbourne, I have to look after my own meal situations
I do not deny I eat out alot and I like to eat out and try different places.
But sometimes you just want to come home for a warm comfy meal. 
In the last couple months other than dishes I already knew, I have tried potato & leek soup, mushroom soup, some others I do not remember and then this, the above, Porcini Mushroom Risotto with pancetta.

It all started with me craving The Italian at 101 Collins. I Love their porcini risotto. It is the best I have tasted anywhere. The strong flavour of porcini and moist risotto left me dreaming about this dish for Days after my first visit. So I decided to try my own.

I googled the receipe and adopted mostly from:
http://www.abc.net.au/local/recipes/2008/06/13/2273702.htm from ABC. But I twisted a little. 

I am one of those person who loves read up alot of receipes for one dish before settling for The One. The One I think would taste the best and usually involves the most extensive process. Lucky for me this time I decided to cook after work on Friday so I could only quick check online before dashing to Shoppingtown. For my own reference I will write my recipe as per below, next time I just need to refer to my Own Blog. ha

PORCINI MUSHROOM RISOTTO

Serves: 5 - 6 (I ate them from Fri to Sun)

Ingredients:
* 200g Swiss flat mushrooms
* 200g Swiss brown mushrooms (I cannot usually find these from Coles/Safeway, I ended up buying all my stuff from this mini-supermarket next to Coles, seems to be more pricey but more mushroom choices)
* 20g dried procini ( this was a hard one as I had no idea where I could get these, managed to get the Last Pack from The Jones Grocer - love this shop Too Much btw. Definitely need to look out for them next time at Lygon St)
* 500g Arborio rice (should try carnaroli next time)
* 1 medium brown onion
* good squirt of garlic paste (being naturally lazy and hate how my hand smells afterwords, I buy the pre made mince)
* 1 Shallot 
* Lots of butter, maybe 150g?
* 400ml of chicken or vegetable stock
* salt & pepper
* olive oil
* some white wine (the drier the better)


Method:
1. Boil water and soak the porcini mushrooms in hot water (200ml) for at least 20mins. The water would have a lovely smell which can be used as part of the stock at cooking
2. Slice all mushrooms and dice all onions/shallot
3. In a Medium Sauce pan, with medium heat with olive oil and butter, cook onions/garlic paste/shallot until soften and onions becomes a little translucent
3. Then pour in all the rice, add more butter, ensuring all rice are coated with oil/butter before pouring the white wine in slowly
4. Once you can smell the wine flavour coming off, put in all the sliced mushrooms including the porcini that have been soaked in the hot water.
5. Start to pour in the stock little by little while stirring them constantly. You can alternate with the mushroom stock.
6. To be Honest I am still trying to work out how long it should really take but I guess it really depends on personal preference as I do not like my rice not cooked thoroughly, ie has the white uncooked bits in the middle. But I think for 500g rice, it would take about 30 to 45mins?
7. season with salt & pepper, and let it rest for 5 mins.


Serve with parmesan cheese. For the above, I decided to bake some pancetta bought from Jones the Grocer to make them crispy and add onto the rice. The Pancetta are so nice and fatty. Would be really tasty if broken into little pieces to eat with the risotto. I couldn't resist but eat them as soon the dish is done.


We cooked this on Friday night with lightly stir fried green beans as sides. It was so delicious. We were both Very Satisfied. I am reading up Bolognese sauce and very eager to try asap. I actually did this sauce before when I was making lasagne but I thought I would do a big batch and just defrost them during work day with vegies etc.


Had a pretty quiet weekend with alot of resting as someone is Sick and no doubt I probably would be the lucky one to get Sick very soon.... bummer!





Sunday night chilling with Muffie and my new throw bought from Costco. It is super comfy and Muffie would not stop purring while sitting on it! So cute. Time for bed, another week begins... so not motivated... :(

No comments: